PDA

View Full Version : From the "stupid" department

Spinny
08-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Lawsuit successful against a restaurant for playing 4 unlicensed songs.....wait till you see how much BMI gets. There seems to be many of these filed against restaurants and nightclubs over the last 2 years.

This article is from 2011.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110815/11503015533/restaurant-owner-ordered-to-pay-bmi-30450-illegally-playing-four-unlicensed-songs.shtml

GameTimeRadio
08-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Can a school broadcast their band playing typical music over an internet feed without paying BMI. This question comes up a lot During half time of a game the mic may be on and you can hear in the background the band playing.

saint
08-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Give it some time and im sure that some one from the recording industry will go after them.
Don't give the RIAA trolls any ideas :p
What part of coastal alabama are you in ?

Brutish Sailor
08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Their are certain provisions you can apply for as an government non profit educational entity.

PERC
02-06-2014, 03:09 AM
4 songs... thats ridiculus

EZRyder
02-12-2014, 11:37 PM
it's a racket.. read about all the lawsuits against BMI, ASCAP, (SESAC maybe not as much?)

bnawtee
04-10-2016, 09:09 PM
You pay $6k a year to have music in your establishment. Did they say what source the music was coming from? A hired DJ or streaming service? What are the rules for creating Mash-Ups or Remixes of songs?

At This Time Editor
12-16-2017, 01:05 AM
I recently had a copyright issue with one episodes for my webseries on my youtube channel. I did an episode talking about the troublesome presidential campaign. I played several clips from late show with stephen colbert. I took the clips from the late show youtube channel and mention during the episode these clips owned by CBS. It wasn't the first time I played clips from colbert channel.

A few months later I got a message from youtube saying my episode was being blocked because the copyright owner filed a complaint. Only for this episode but another episode was left alone but youtube added ads to my video to compensate the copyright owner. I filed a dispute to try at least get some clarification but not only the reply came too fast it didn't answer the questions I raised in my dispute. They only said copyright owner still claims ownership a very non answer. I don't believe anyone actually looked at my dispute. I was considering to file appeal but I would run risk of getting the video deleted and getting a strike against my account.

If they couldn't answer my dispute properly there no reason to believe would take my appeal seriously. I deleted the episode and recorded a new episode without the videos because what I talked about was too important to forget about.

The copyright laws need to be revised and provide a better clarification what can and can't do. The current copyright laws accomplish nothing but make lawyers rich.