PDA

View Full Version : [QUESTION REQUESTS] Interview With Icecast Creator, Jack Moffitt

James
08-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Hey all,

I have the opportunity to interview Jack Moffitt, the original creator of Icecast. He discontinued his development in 2002-2003 (so here is your chance to ask some questions!).

614I'm an entrepreneur and a hacker.

My current project is called Chesspark and is an online community for chess players built on top of technologies like XMPP (aka Jabber), AJAX, and Python.

Previously I created the Icecast Streaming Media Server, spent a lot of time developing and managing the Ogg Vorbis project, and helping create and run the Xiph.org Foundation. All these efforts exist to create a common, royalty free, and open standard for multimedia on the Internet.

I am passionate about Free Software and Open Source, technology, music, and photography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Moffitt

Post your questions below and i'll forward them on to him and the development team!
:thumbup:

saint
08-17-2012, 10:09 PM
When will icecast support the open source google video codec webm :)

Vanlen
08-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Any thoughts on creating a solid open source alternative to Edcast and Butt?

Caster.Fm
08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
When will icecast support the open source google video codec webm :)

you don't mind me answering right?

I'm pretty sure KH Branch has WebM support for a while now.
also the 2.4-beta support WebM and Ogg Opus.

Any thoughts on creating a solid open source alternative to Edcast and Butt?
While Edcast itself is an open source alternative to the shoutcast dsp.
another Open source project named: Mixxx (http://mixxx.org/) is a decent alternative to SamBroadcaster.

Vanlen
08-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the answers... but the thread is actually a call for questions are for an upcoming interview .

James
08-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Keep the questions coming guys! I need them before the end of this week :)

rockhost
09-25-2012, 12:31 PM
How do you feel about Shoutcast v2 having Icecast like mountpoints?