PDA

View Full Version : When do I need to get license coverage?

gnr5
09-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm still planning to open an online radio. I'm in the very beginning and I don't see hitting AT LEAST 20 people concurrent in the near future, maybe as we grow later on we will. It will be more if a hobby, do I still need to get licensing for royalties? Does everyone here have that?

Thanks.

gnr5
09-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey thanks! Yes, we're in the US.

MarcAlle
09-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Definitely check out www.streamlicensing.com - marvin does great work over there and knows his stuff!

Spinny
09-06-2012, 11:44 AM
One of things to make sure of before you pay your first months license fees; make sure your tech problems are solved. I always tell folks wait a few weeks and make sure everything is working properly before laying out money for your license. There's no point paying for a license if your stream is going to be down for days on end when you start up while you work out bugs. I don't know of anyone that's been fined yet for waiting too long but the e-mails do fly out of Soundexchange to the stations that are not licensed.

And yes, marvin at streamlicensing has outstanding customer service. And if you are looking for a good stream company that has hosting and radio station templates, check out reliastream (they too have outstanding customer service).