PDA

View Full Version : RadioCaster - Live Audio Encoder / Transcoder

djsoft
01-26-2013, 01:47 PM
RadioCaster is a program for taking any audio connected to your computer or playback device and broadcasting it online to the whole world.

audio capture from any computer input or playback device, can transcode other streams
support for ASIO devices
works with Icecast, Shoutcast and compatible servers, Windows Media Services and has own built-in server
simple interface and quick configuration
100% reliable and stable
More information: http://www.djsoft.net/enu/radiocaster_details.htm

djsoft
01-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Trial version has all the features of a full version and is not time limited, but it will insert a tone saying "Stream encoder with RadioCaster" from time to time.

garybaldy72uk
01-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Trial version has all the features of a full version and is not time limited, but it will insert a tone saying "Stream encoder with RadioCaster" from time to time.

That's why i hate Trials of paid for programs such as this you have no freedom to use it as you want to. If that test tone came up while i was doing a live show I'd not bother with the program and ditch it for something FREE like Altacast/MB recaster etc ....

Think you are likely to put people off by doing that.

djsoft
01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
It warns about the tone with 14px red letters on startup, so users are aware about this. It wouldn't be a surprise.

Tone presents only in the trial version, and there's no tone in the paid version. The trial is time-unlimited, so you can test-drive it as much time as you need. Paid version doesn't limit your freedom in any way (well, of course you cannot share your key or [re]sell it and so on).

The software programs you mentioned are not as good as RadioCaster:
* MB Recaster can't take signal from playback device or network stream and allows only 4 encoders (unlimited in RadioCaster)
* Altacast is a sort of a beta product, it's not stable and has many other issues. It's totally unusable in the real world. Also it can not capture playback or transcode streams.
* Neither of those can work with ASIO devices.

I'm aware that you accept only free software, and you can even trade quality or for this.

Gary, whenever you get tired of uncomplete, non-stable or feature-limited free software products, you are welcome to try (and buy) RadioCaster.

Thanks.

garybaldy72uk
01-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Altacast is a sort of a beta product

Wrong! It's a pretty stable piece of encoding software, To make it run properly it does need C++ 2010 runtime installed on the computer esp if the box is running Win7.

If Altacast wasn't stable it wouldn't be on my downloads page.

Gary, whenever you get tired of uncomplete, non-stable or feature-limited free software products, you are welcome to try (and buy) RadioCaster.

I will never tire of the Free software espescially when most of it is better than ALL the paid for programs. It shouldn't cost people the earth to be able to broadcast on the internet.

BTW - You do realise there are cracked versions of your software doing the rounds! Quick google search and it's there .... I guess people really Don't like paying for software.

djsoft
01-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Wrong! It's a pretty stable piece of encoding software, To make it run properly it does need C++ 2010 runtime installed on the computer esp if the box is running Win7.

LOL. Why people need to bother with this? Good software should work out of the box without messing around with runtimes and the like. Those things have to be sorted out by software author and not by the user.

I will never tire of the Free software espescially when most of it is better than ALL the paid for programs. It shouldn't cost people the earth to be able to broadcast on the internet.

No one promised that broadcasting will be free. Did you get your computer for free? Do you pay for Internet access every month? If yes, why did you decide that software products should be free?

BTW - You do realise there are cracked versions of your software doing the rounds! Quick google search and it's there .... I guess people really Don't like paying for software.
You know... people steal stuff from shops. Does that mean people do not like paying for stuff?

And yes, I'm aware of cracks. Good news that pirated versions do not work good, they're not stable, and cracked versions of RadioBOSS eat up 100% of CPU. Those who use cracked versions should keep it in mind.

djsoft
01-26-2013, 06:39 PM
I took a look @ Altacast. How it's better than RadioCaster? In addition to the issues I've already mentioned, it can not stream to Shoutcast v2, Windows Media and it doesn't have built-in server.

djsoft
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
RadioCaster 1.5.1 released!

JamboUK
01-31-2013, 12:08 PM
Djsoft

Is there any chance of having a 12Kbps AAC+ Mono in Radiocaster?

Cheers

Jamie

djsoft
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
The lowest bitrate for now is 24kbps, 12 can be added too... but for what purpose it can be used? Isn't 24 low enough?

djsoft
02-06-2013, 01:26 PM
RadioCaster 1.5.2 released (changed icon to a better looking one).

JamboUK
02-06-2013, 01:53 PM
The lowest bitrate for now is 24kbps, 12 can be added too... but for what purpose it can be used? Isn't 24 low enough?

Our listeners Tune In mainly from mobile devices and we run a 12Kbps AAC+ Mono Stream which is very low in data usage especially when listeners are on a limited mobile data package.

Quite a few of our listeners tune in to the 12kbps stream.

We broadcast to mainly London Taxi Drivers and the station is called London Taxi Radio hence we have to cater more for our mobile listeners than we do for those who listen from home.

The 12kbps AAC+ Mono stream produces quite a good quality stream.

have a listen http://s1.londontaxiradio.co.uk:7858

djsoft
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Thank you for information. 12kbps broadcasting will be included in the next update of RadioCaster.

JamboUK
02-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Thank you Djsoft, with internet broadcasting we now have to be aware that not everyone listens from their home PC on broadband/DSL connections, nearly as many people are tuning in from mobile devices and we have to be conscious of their data allowances.

Also when moving around I find that lower bit rate streams do not buffer as much and when a signal is lost it comes back up quicker than a higher bit rate stream, personally when out working the Taxi I try to avoid listening to stations that only stream in a high bit rate as it buffers more and takes a long time to reconnect.

Stations need to be aware that the mobile revolution is happening and that we need to cater for those who wish to tune in to our stations while on the move, most radio listening still happens while people are in their cars so we really need to cater for these listeners to attract them away from the big commercial stations and allure them into internet radio with the vast choice that it offers the listener.

djsoft
02-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Mostly players use fixed playback buffer size in bytes. For lower bitrate streams this buffer will store more seconds, than for a higher bitrate stream. It could explain why low-bitrate streams seem to buffer less.

RadioCaster update will be released this week featuring 8, 12 and 16 kbps for AAC.