View Full Version : Question please help

07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi all sorry if its been asked before I couldnt find it in forums,

I just started doing internet radio and I have under 100 listeners right now for a 15 min test shows Ive done but my question is for about licensing to play music that i own (or so i think) from my ipod,cd etc on a live internet radio broadcast that I myself do not record and make available for downloading. When I would play any music tho it would consist of 1-5 songs in a 15 minute span for a 30min to 1 hour talk show 1x a week.

I need to find a cheap way to get licensing since i broadcast via spreaker and have a player for it on my website and blog..

07-31-2013, 03:55 PM
If you are playing songs on the internet, you must pay royalaties to the song writers. Several companies enforce the rules and collect the money, such as ASCAP, BMI, SoundExchange, SASE, etc.

The cheapest way to do this is to pay through 2 companies who have blanket coverage from these companies. They are:
LoudCity - http://www.loudcity.net
StreamLicensing - http://www.streamlicensing.com

10-27-2013, 05:22 PM
When obtaining your license you need to ask yourself, What country will my listeners be coming from?

The following statement can be found on the LoudCity Website:

"Loudcity maintains webcast licenses with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SoundExchange."
And the following on StreamLicensing:
U.S. ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SoundExchange, & SOCAN (Canada)
Internet Radio Stream Licensing™

So, what does this mean, Well:

StreamLicensing and Loudcity will cover you for the broadcast of songs in the US
StreamLicensing also covers you in canada.

But what if your target audience is from neither of these countries?
Well then you have to do a little digging:

Here is a list of countries and beside them the name of the performing rights organization:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_rights_organisation)It may be a good idea to block access to traffic from countries that you do not have a valid license for.

Hope this helps