PDA

View Full Version : Do you stream 24/7?

James
01-25-2008, 08:29 AM
tell me.. do you stream non stop? do you cddj when your not on air?

id think streaming non stop would be a waste
? power.. internet bills.. whatso else.. :blink:

Punk101
01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I stream 24/7, and I find that I have a healthy flow of listeners. I used to only stream 2-3 nights a week, but found that not too many people would tune in. Since I changed to 24/7 that's changed. I think being on all the time ppl see the station as a permanent thing and tune in more often.

James
01-30-2008, 01:01 AM
does it cost much? like power issues, but i suppose you would turn lights, microphone, preamps and stuff and just keep the computers on wouldnt you?

Punk101
01-30-2008, 01:20 AM
thats exactly what i do. Av. cost really isnt too bad.

James
01-30-2008, 01:25 AM
ak, im thinking of going 24/7, im building a studio and yeah.. just wondering ;)

Punk101
01-30-2008, 01:31 AM
The cost might surprise you at first, but after you realize what your running that really drains power you will be able to cut your costs back.

spud
01-30-2008, 09:51 PM
i go 24/7 station run off a laptop
and i use a server for the 128k stream

dadaas
02-01-2008, 02:23 PM
what about bandwith?
dosent 24/7 eat bandwith like hell will dry watter?

James
02-01-2008, 10:25 PM
best to get a host that gives you free uploads, then it will cost you waay less. :)

solidrockradio
02-02-2008, 05:36 AM
i used to have my puter on 24/7 but use a VPS to run oll except when I go live

James
10-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Sorry to bump up an old thread. But with our setup of stream host reviews, ive found alot dont stream 24/7.

Do you do it in the day of global warming and high electricity prices?

aaronsnet
10-17-2008, 04:18 PM
We have two servers that stream 24/7. We are working on getting the two stations on just one computer. The cost really isn't that major with the cheap electricity that is available in this area.

Bandwidth is limited to 250gb per month, which is plenty for our stations to stream to our sc provider.

THREETEN RADIO
10-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Well at the moment I am a right cheat as due to other commitments I rarely can go Live so I have Auto DJ on 3 streams online 24/7. I'd rather that than be "off air", maybe not too everyones taste but great back to back music with no gaps and a few jingles that's it. When I can do live shows I will always put Auto DJ on again after.

Thebig429
10-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Im 24 hours. Have a friend take over when im off line.

dotme
10-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I think it depends on the station/s audience, but unless you broadcast solely to a group of friends or a local crowd/local concerts, running 24/7 is pretty essential to building any kind of following.

A listener who adds a station to bookmarks in their player only to find that it's dead more often than it's on-air, will soon remove the bookmark.

I've always run 24/7 from home, even in the early days when I'd be lucky to see one listener per day.

jkemr
10-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Well to get your station up and running yes you gotta be 24/7. I use auto dj much more than i should but dont have the staff to go 24/7 so have to use auto.I have me and 2 others so we can do 8 hours and (I do 4 of them )the rest is auto what else can I do? ...I even did think about asking people from outside the uk to do a slot when they do there normal slot i mean like 2-3 am in the uk its like 4 r 5 hours back for them but everyone talk about there station and right so ... (So i didint ask) the problem with auto dj is most people like to hear a voice not just music so they soon leave :( Thanks JK

chq
10-18-2008, 08:36 PM
cyba radio the station that never sleeps broadcasting 247/365
no matter what time of the day or night cyba radio is always on lol

aaronsnet
10-20-2008, 05:32 PM
I think it depends on the station/s audience, but unless you broadcast solely to a group of friends or a local crowd/local concerts, running 24/7 is pretty essential to building any kind of following.

A listener who adds a station to bookmarks in their player only to find that it's dead more often than it's on-air, will soon remove the bookmark.

I've always run 24/7 from home, even in the early days when I'd be lucky to see one listener per day.

I know you run a large station. Do you put your station on any auto dj if your internet/power goes out?

TechnoKelvin
10-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Forgive because I'm new to all of this but in order for you to use SAM Broadcaster4 you need to be 24/7 from your own PC, right?

jkemr
10-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes m8 Keep your pc on 24/7 unless your server as auto dj then it runs from your server and you dont need to use sam or your pc :) Hope this helps Thanks JK

dotme
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I know you run a large station. Do you put your station on any auto dj if your internet/power goes out?
Yes. AutoDJ can be okay if you have a good mix of music with sweepers. I have a good redundancy methodology in place and it's served me well.

Primary - Push on DSL to main server in data center
Secondary - Pull on Cable Modem to server in data center
Backup - AutoDJ in main data center

The system senses a failure and rolls to the next method. Falls back when things come back on line. So if I lose my DSL line, the cable modem picks up instantly. I lose power and the battery backups die, and the autoDJ in the data center takes over until I can restore the live feed.

Blazin 97
11-26-2008, 07:33 PM
My station is on 24-7 and bandwith/power isn't a problem for me. :) Every month or so there will be a day or two when it is off but usually the stream is up an live on auto deejay. I also have unlimited bandwith.

CA101
11-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi,

California-101 which is now 4 years old hasn't always been 24/7 online, due to some technical restrictions.
It started getting better in summer 2005 and since November 2007 we hadn't a single downtime.
We've been 24/7 online without a single downtime since then, streamin' shoutcast and icecast servers.

We take care of helping new broadcsaters today and that's actually fun.

François

alexr
11-26-2008, 11:03 PM
We broadcast 24/7 but after starting on a local computer we quickly moved the broadcasting software offsite. All live shows are streamed to the offsite computer then relayed onto the station. We have experienced virtually 0 problems from the broadcasting computer and saw most our problems occur as we were getting the streaming servers setup. I am confident that we are now setup for a while :).

CA101
11-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi alexr,

Let's cross fingers for the bad period is definitively over now. :)

What kind of radio Format do you stream? Do you have some link for us to get your shows?

Have a nice day and see you soon,

François

alexr
11-26-2008, 11:12 PM
We are a large Urban station, we had servers out of alphared for a while, and have moved around until we finally got it worked out for bandwidth out of the Softlayer DC. Site is www.000jamz.com , feel free to contact us and some shows may be available, use the contact form and ask Chris.

Alex

THREETEN RADIO
11-27-2008, 06:06 AM
Nice site Alex. (Y) I am using the auto DJ system from kwd, it's great!

DirtySouthRadio
11-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Well I Been 24 Hours A Day 7 Days Week Now For 8 Year Live Form My Computer Onlu Use Auto Dj Once So Far And That Cause I Moved From Florida To Tennseee But Next Week Im Moving Back To Fla So I Will Probly Be Not Live 2 Or 3 Days But My Auto Dj Will Be On

CA101
11-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi,

Thanks Alexr...Nice site and programming. I'm currently listening to your station via Real. :)

Keep up the good work,

François

dailymael
11-28-2008, 09:26 PM
http://www.broowaha.com/article.php?id=4342

Nic Harcourt is such a hypocrite, he never belonged in "community" broadcasting - he belongs on a BIG money channel offering loads more payola.

Don't let the door knock u in the azz big daddy.

Jkey
11-30-2008, 03:28 PM
I still remember the day when my encoders were running in my studio
years back.
Everytime the internet went down or my electrical supply went off
so did the station.After a while i realised that setting up a server with
content broadcasting 24/7 was the only way to go.
Cost never came into it,as it shouldnt if you are serious about broadcasting.
If you find you cant afford to go 24/7 dont run your own station broadcast via
someone elses.(Y)

This year ive come back to broadcasting(out of retirement) because of the
next generation of shoutcast tools which are aimed at total control of a 24/7 internet station,scheduling etc,etc.. which was something i could not miss out on :)

Derek
12-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Guys..

Well Not been in here for a while...

So streaming..

Well Seeing as i now own The Cute Media Network, Lock Stock And Barrel!!...Broadcasting 24/7 is a must for anyone whom wants to start an online Radio Station..I Stream two Stations,QT FM which is a service that provides listeners with music with presenters and pre recorded shows from the 80's 90's and todays hits...And our Gold Service which is live 24/7 providing an alternative for anyone whom wants to listen to Just music..QT FM Gold...i run 2 streams on each 128/32kbps..Apart from the licencing and the costing,it is very reasonable if you calculate the cost over a year and one which i do not find expensive at all...runs on two sam broadcasters on a 2.4 intel pentuim with an 1.8amd as backup..

Fully produced Jingles for both Stations..aka I-Jingles,which by the way give excellent value for money...also 2Resident Full-Time VO's..

So there ya go...

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year..

Derek.

Cute Media Network.

rharris
03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
I have a fairly decent Internet connection and I stream non-stop 24/7 @ 128Kbps using SAM Broadcaster. My monthly Internet bandwidth bill is the same as it was before I started the station. I still surf the web, download files and do all of the normal stuff while at the same time streaming my station. My entire house on also wireless on this one Internet connection. I use Comcast as my provider. The key here is to select an Internet package that is robust enough to handle streaming a station along with all of the other things you will be doing on the Internet.

GKIye
08-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Sad behaviour to see a "." aka "a dot" as reply to somebody his/her posts

flyah
11-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Yes. we have been running 24/7 for the past 3 years now. (not unless there is an issue with the servers).

nurv
04-16-2013, 12:09 PM
I stream 24/7. The reason for this is simple: Listeners will not tune in to your station as much when you are live, if the stream appears to not be working when you are not live. If I as a listener tune in to a radio and there is no stream, I will leave the station and most likely never tune in again.

We use a VPS with a shoutcastserver running 24/7, and we broadcast to the server from a virtual PC set up on our private server. It's cheap, effective, and keeps the listeners come back for more.

indiecore313
04-24-2013, 05:11 AM
Yes we do. The original indieco.re radio streamed 24/7 (since 2007) and so does the reincarnation! We host our servers in Chicago off a 1gbps line. We use an automated dj until one of our human dj's goes live. Then after we switch right back.

Pretty seamless. We also released some mobiles apps, so 24/7 is the only way.

Mad Dog Radio Live
04-28-2013, 09:18 PM
My station streams 24/7 as well..

Our stream provider does not offer an "AutoDJ" service, so we leave all of our machines on.

Like the other posts said, the cost really isn't that bad if you turn off everything BESIDES the main broadcasting computer. All of our mixers, microphones, monitors, etc. are all off.

24/7 is definitely the way to go.

andhow
05-26-2013, 07:53 PM
We are running 24/7 here at our studio with UPS battery backup protection on the studio servers and the FM transmitter. We also use a dedicated 100MBps fibre connection from the studio to our streaming host, which gives us a huge overhead of upload on our bandwidth to prevent buffering on our outgoing stream.