PDA

View Full Version : Shoutcast servers for independent/non-commercial broadcasters

aaronsnet
09-27-2008, 10:15 PM
The Noncorporate Radio Network offers reliable Shoutcast hosting for a discounted (wholesale) price to non-commercial, independent stations (only). This service is not to make money, but to provide a reliable and cost effective broadcasting medium to independent broadcasters (that are already strapped for cash). There are a limited number of servers available, and go on a first come, first serve basis.

Prices (per slot [listener]/monthly…plus 4% PayPal processing fee)
24kbps = $0.20
32kbps = $0.23
40kbps = $0.30
48kbps = $0.35
56kbps = $0.41
64kbps = $0.48
80kbps = $0.56
96kbps = $0.70
128kbps = $0.83

Servers are hosted by AlphaRed in Houston, TX USA utilizing their premium bandwidth network.

Included with a subscription is free support (phone & web based), simple control panel and a very reliable server. There are no contracts.

To view specific requirements or to fill out an application, please visit:
http://noncorporate.org/shoutcast-services/

MarcAlle
09-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Just a note, Although AlphaRed says premium bandwidth, all incoming uses Cogent (we've used them before, for like a month, we left when we found this out).

Another note, I've actually never heard of the streaming company advertising that they charge the Paypal fee, i understand you are not trying to make money, but when you advertise the paypal fee, it may scare people. I would consider working the fee into the pricing. Stream101 doesnt charge for the paypal fee, but thought I would just suggest this.

Not trying to be bashful, just trying to let people know.

aaronsnet
09-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Thank you for the suggestion, but the prices are so low that I am not afraid to pass on the fee to the customer. I want customers to know the exact pricing structure without hiding any fees in the prices.

We are different from Stream101 in that we do not allow anyone and everyone to use our services. You must submit an application and be approved. We will only provide servers to stations that meet a certain criteria. You are right..our mission is to not make money..but to support independent broadcasters by offering reliable servers at wholesale prices (so we can break even).

As far as cognet incoming on Alphared, I will check directly with them to verify this. I have been using Alphared for 7 months now with maybe a few hours of downtime. What is impressive is that my server is located in Houston (where Ike hit), and not once was my service interupted. If you can maintain the same level of service during a Category 3 hurricane directly hitting your area, you've impressed me.

I will post back once I have a reply from AlphaRed regarding the cognet issue.

MarcAlle
09-28-2008, 01:08 PM
They didn't tell us when we used them, I found out by mistake.

What you can do if they deny it, is to run what is called a traceroute from your home connection, to the server's IP address.

http://www.bitwizard.nl/mtr/ is what I used.

aaronsnet
09-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I just entered through Level 3 on my tracert.

MarcAlle
09-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I apologize, I had it backwards. They use cogent on the outbound part, not the inbound. They basically *mask* the cogent by showing premium providers on the inbound, because most people don't traceroute the outbound.

aaronsnet
09-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Yup, from my server I am going out on Cognet, but it has been working for over 7 months with only a few hours of downtime. What I think is important is that they use a full bgp4. It has worked quite well for me, and I imagine it will continue to work well. If it doesn't, I will be moving to another provider.

MarcAlle
09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm glad it works for you, we had nothing but problems at AlphaRed. Downtime each week was ridiculous.

aaronsnet
09-29-2008, 09:50 PM
You may have been on their Emerge Network. That completely relies on Cognet..and I think that is the cheap one. We utilize the premium network which seems very stable.

shoutcaststreaming
09-30-2008, 09:03 PM
We have several servers on Alpha Red for over a year and had never had a problem.

We also had servers at FDC and had major constant problems with them, although other people just swear by them (or at them).

You just have to be in the right place at the right time.