PDA

View Full Version : Vista, XP or OS10?

JBVoice
11-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Greetings!

Thought I would post this to get some feedback on an issue. I recently bought a Mac with OS10 on it. It is amazing for audio productions! I recently gave up on windows vista due to the sound card bugs. Anyone else have issues with Vista?

I downgraded to windows XP (more like upgraded). I use windows xp for my broadcasting computer and my Mac for editing audio. What do you guys use?

My main computer set up is:

Broadcasting PC:

1 TB HD, 4 GB Ram,Quad Processor and i forgot the graphics card =o

Editing PC(Invested ALL my savings into...it paid off!):

I dont know what all this means but here is ALL the specs. The total cost was around $9,320:

3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32GB (8x4GB)
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB
One 16x SuperDrive
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + User's Guide
Accessory kit

Two HD Cinema 30' Flat panel Moniters with wall mounts

The MAC is my favorite system of all!!!!!!

What do you guys think?

THREETEN RADIO
11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow! Puts my little Dell optiplex to shame! :lol: I use XP pro and will do for as long as possible avoiding Vista also. If I could obtain a decent MAC I would as they are fantastic for audio work. Great set up you have. (Y)

JBVoice
11-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Yea, Vista has way too many bugs. I almost forgot, I actually use a Dell for my phone calls :) Here is the set up on that...Probably something similar to what you have:

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
512mb Ram
60 GB HD
2.4GHZ Processor

VOIP Phone Lines: Magic Jack (main) and Skype

kwdservices
11-18-2008, 09:06 PM
And I thought I had a lot of hard drive space! May I ask what you do with 4TB of space?

And wow, $9k. I could do some major redecorating here in the office with that money LOL

kwdservices
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Oh, and we use XP Pro for everything except programing (broadcasting, administrative work, etc). Good old CentOS and Ubuntu do the trick for programming.

JBVoice
11-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Well, obviously I don't use all that space YET. I record local bands and save all their work into the system. I am using 1.5 TB's of the space just with music, voice overs etc. But, honestly...I wont be using all that space any time soon =p

Exozito
11-19-2008, 03:57 AM
XP and Mac OS X= Two good operating systems. Vista stinks for now.

THREETEN RADIO
11-19-2008, 06:31 AM
Yea, Vista has way too many bugs. I almost forgot, I actually use a Dell for my phone calls :) Here is the set up on that...Probably something similar to what you have:

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
512mb Ram
60 GB HD
2.4GHZ Processor

VOIP Phone Lines: Magic Jack (main) and Skype

Very similar but XP PRO with SP3
1GB RAM
40GB HDD + ext 40GB HDD
2.66GHz Processor
Additional soundcard (I forget the name, one of the soundblaster range)

A similar set up downstairs as a back up and for general use.