PDA

View Full Version : Laura Nyro

Ricardo
04-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Has anybody else here listened to Laura Nyro albums?

I'd been aware of her as a songwriter, but it was on the TV show Spectacle when Elvis Costello and Elton John talked about her that made me check her out more.

She was an under-rated singer who wrote great songs. It looks like she was stereotyped as pop in a time when rock was the thing because her tunes had been covered by The Fifth Dimension, Barbra Streisand, Three Dog Night and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

I just got an early album of hers - It sounds like a great singer singing very strong songs... In 1966.

Arfa B!
04-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah, she was great... loved her version of Stoney End, much better thasn Barbara Striesand..... never did understand what the appeal of BS is to be honest?

GKIye
04-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi Ricardo,
I never heard about this female singer Laura Nyro
I guess she was also a songwriter ?
Do you have some titles of tracks she made / wrote ?
Its always interesting to discover the "roots" of some songs who has been made big by other singers / groups
Thanks for sharing !

Arfa B!
04-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Phillipe look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Nyro

Judeee Sill was another great talent that nobody had heard of, her song Jesus was a crossmaker was amazing!

Ricardo
04-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I just got a CD with her early songs a couple days ago. Yes she was a great songwriter and a fine singer too.

I recognize her Wedding Bell Blues as the #1 Fifth Dimension Song, Stoney End and I Never Meant To Hurt You from Streisand, Eli's Coming from Three Dog Night and When I Die from Blood, Sweat & Tears.