Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    I agree Gary....there's too much greed...my point is in all the above....every other broadcasting entity has to pay for some sort of license, we shouldnt be exempt...but...we should be able to afford it. These license providers like Loudcast and Streamlicensing are handling the negotiations for us and making it affordable. It sucks we pay, but we pay a lot less than AM/FM and Satellite.
    Tom

Title
    I don't think it has anything to do with greed, except for the attention greedy broadcasters who refuse to pay their fees. Why is it that everyone thinks that it is ok to flaunt the law because of their self-righteous, supposed "anti-greed" mantra. Would it be ok if you just worked for free and didn't get paid to do it?

I think that licensing and paying for your royalties separates the men from the boys. Legitimate & professional radio stations will pay their fees. Ones that don't usually don't last anyway as they are second-rate, wanna-be radio hacks.

Additionally, I have no reservations of reporting ANYONE that I know of who is not paying their license fees (especially the ones who flaunt the law) as I pay mine every year and have for a number of years, as well as a large number other "real" radio station broadcasters that I know.

It is the law. If you don't like it, then get the law changed, until then pay your way or get out.
    Last edited by andhow; 10-26-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    Reverend Aquaman | Station Manager | andHow.FM
    Where it's *ALL* about the music!
    A world-class, always eclectic, commercial-free, alternative, modern, retro, indie rock radio station.
    Jamming the free world, one person at a time since 1998. Got Indie?

Title
    A few years old, but a great legal explanation of the licensing fees. Internet Radio—The Basics of Music Royalty Obligations

A world-class, always eclectic, commercial-free, alternative, modern, retro, indie rock radio station.

Title
    Beautifully said above andhow.
    Tom

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinny View Post
    Beautifully said above andhow.
    Thanks Spinny.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sljaxon View Post
    I am a fan of aggressively going after unlicensed internet stations. I pay a ton for ASCAP licensed music (yeah, in the US we don't get free music from the record companies), broadcast licensing, etc. and would like others to do the same.

But Matt has a point: people who set up unlicensed stations don't really intend to put a whole lot of resources in to their station so their stations are unlikely to be successful. Those who don't put money into licensing are also unlikely to put money into imaging, websites, promotion, etc. As much as I'd love to have the licensing obligation off my back, $22.50/month from StreamLicensing is extremely reasonable. I take care of most of my other bills through RadioLoyalty, and I can make money from my station with services like theirs because I'm licensed. So those who don't get licensed are unlikely to be successful anyways.
    Good on ya, sljaxon! Well said.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wildun View Post
    There are plenty of unlicensed stations, they just don't have listeners. I don't pursue them because they hold no threat to me or my station. Check the SC directory and you'll find most are just listening to their own stations or have no listeners. I firmly believe in being licensed and royalties should be paid within reason.
    Hear, hear! Well said!

Title
    Tom,

WELL SAID! I was going to use the quote feature but I agree with everything you said and it was just too lengthy. LOL. I know you posted this back in October, but I have been out of pocket (in development mode) and just got a chance to read the rest of the thread.
    Wes Simkins
    We took streaming to the next level!
    Help us support charities and get your streaming for pennies a year.
    DJC Media Streaming Services