Title

From the "stupid" department

Lawsuit successful against a restaurant for playing 4 unlicensed songs.....wait till you see how much BMI gets. There seems to be many of these filed against restaurants and nightclubs over the last 2 years.

This article is from 2011.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...ed-songs.shtml
    Last edited by Spinny; 08-11-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    Tom

Title
    Can a school broadcast their band playing typical music over an internet feed without paying BMI. This question comes up a lot During half time of a game the mic may be on and you can hear in the background the band playing.

Title
    Content Manager
    Give it some time and im sure that some one from the recording industry will go after them.
    Don't give the RIAA trolls any ideas :p
    What part of coastal alabama are you in ?

Title
    Senior Broadcaster
    Their are certain provisions you can apply for as an government non profit educational entity.
    KNSJ.org / 89.1 FM San Diego

Title
    4 songs... thats ridiculus

Title
    it's a racket.. read about all the lawsuits against BMI, ASCAP, (SESAC maybe not as much?)

Title
    You pay $6k a year to have music in your establishment. Did they say what source the music was coming from? A hired DJ or streaming service? What are the rules for creating Mash-Ups or Remixes of songs?

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    I recently had a copyright issue with one episodes for my webseries on my youtube channel. I did an episode talking about the troublesome presidential campaign. I played several clips from late show with stephen colbert. I took the clips from the late show youtube channel and mention during the episode these clips owned by CBS. It wasn't the first time I played clips from colbert channel.

A few months later I got a message from youtube saying my episode was being blocked because the copyright owner filed a complaint. Only for this episode but another episode was left alone but youtube added ads to my video to compensate the copyright owner. I filed a dispute to try at least get some clarification but not only the reply came too fast it didn't answer the questions I raised in my dispute. They only said copyright owner still claims ownership a very non answer. I don't believe anyone actually looked at my dispute. I was considering to file appeal but I would run risk of getting the video deleted and getting a strike against my account.

If they couldn't answer my dispute properly there no reason to believe would take my appeal seriously. I deleted the episode and recorded a new episode without the videos because what I talked about was too important to forget about.

The copyright laws need to be revised and provide a better clarification what can and can't do. The current copyright laws accomplish nothing but make lawyers rich.