Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Avid Broadcaster

Apple iRadio To Roll Out Next Week

-- JE

.::.(())::. Urban Hitz Radio™ USA .::.(())::. The People' Choice for Hip-Hop & R&B!
    Listen to Urban Hitz Radio - GET A Local or TOLL-FREE Request Line NOW...Only $2 Monthly *Request Line: (855) 588-6767

Title
    Just what the radio industry doesn't need another streaming service. it's just making life even tougher for the smaller broadcasters out there.

http://djgarybaldy.co.uk
    http://djgarybaldy.co.uk/radiodj-fre...ation-software
    https://www.facebook.com/DJGarybaldy

Problems with your current automation program? Why not switch to Radio DJ Free Radio Automation Software instead? It's 100% FREE & reliable. http://radiodj.ro

Title
    Content Manager
    Gary, for main stream music and entertainment - yes it is, HOWEVER, for unique and niche content - the doors are still wide open.

Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    With that said...we all know, people are not going to pay for unique and niche content. They already get that for free on Shoutcast and Windows Media..

In my genre, I can name about 3 stations that play independent music and has a sizeable listener base.
    I'm not sure, it's going to work for iRadio for them to sell ads on unique content. And if they are like the other guys, and I bet they are, being that they just signed a huge contract with the RIAA. Everything they do, business wise will revolve around commercial content - because that's where the money is.

So iRadio will just reinvent the wheel, along with fresh advertisements. And put other wheel re-inventors out of business. It's a smart move for them, but bad for internet radio.

And then they say "independent" internet radio stations can't sell ads, because it will turn off listeners, but all the major corporate players who have taken their FM signal online, do it and do IT well. Hmmm.
    We have placed ourselves into this tiny box, with little room to wiggle, by conforming to what they say we should not do. Instead of thinking for ourselves. Now all the major players are pimping ads on commercial content - ONLINE, except the "independent" internet radio stations...Hmmmmm!

What's the point?
    We take money out of our own pockets to pay for streaming licensing and bandwidth, web hosting, etc. Put it into other peoples pockets, and not get much in return? This model needs to change.
    Think about it, someone came up with the bright idea to create a 3rd party organization to collect money to pay for licensing, and you have a few "organizations" that do it. Getting PAID!
    Why hasn't there been this bright idea to create a big coalition to for independent INTERNET RADIO stations to sell advertising?
    Most of us smaller broadcasters, don't have large pockets. But it seems as if the money keeps flowing out of our pockets back to those with the large pockets. And the large pockets only look out for the large pockets...Business 101?

I wonder what's going to happen to the Radio tab on iTunes?
    Last edited by Urban Hitz Radio; 06-06-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    -- JE

.::.(())::. Urban Hitz Radio™ USA .::.(())::. The People' Choice for Hip-Hop & R&B!
    Listen to Urban Hitz Radio - GET A Local or TOLL-FREE Request Line NOW...Only $2 Monthly *Request Line: (855) 588-6767

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Hitz Radio View Post
    ...I wonder what's going to happen to the Radio tab on iTunes?
    I suspect it will be toast. Apple already somewhat buried it with v11.x and if they launch their own service, any other stations just take listeners revenue from them.

It does look likely that iRadio will be "announced" next week at WWDC, but I wouldn't expect it to actually launch until Fall, along with the public release of iOS7 etc.

Title
    Content Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Hitz Radio View Post
    With that said...we all know, people are not going to pay for unique and niche content. They already get that for free on Shoutcast and Windows Media..
    The best way to attract and keep a vibrant listener base is to present unique and niche content. Playing the same songs every one else does wont gain you listeners - no matter how you spin the music.

You have to blend your content, with your website, and provide a place for community activity. You have to provide advertising placement on different levels of your internet presence.

Advertising revenue can be generated, by Independent stations, that do use unique and niche content - I have seen that with my own eyes. It takes lots of work, lots of time and lots of effort. The money is not in the million dollar level or hundred thousand dollar level - but it is there.

The key is creativity, ingenuity and vibrance.
    Last edited by saint; 06-07-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    I Downloaded the latest update to iTunes Today and so far my station is still there. If iTunes no longer offers third party Internet Radio stations it really could hurt a lot of us since my listener base is 90% iTunes listeners.

Title
    As an owner of a station I think it's time we all review just how and where we get listeners. Those who have depended on iTunes exclusively may be in for a big surprise if iRadio causes iTunes to drop their Radio station directory. We get about 80% of our listeners from iTunes. We are also going to run PSAs encouraging those who tune in via iTunes to seek another method. (We choose to go with TuneIn). It's time now to start working to insure the future of your station.

Personally I think that the iTunes radio directory had needed cleaned up and purged a long time ago.
    DJ-Wheels

Title
    Sounds like Apple is rolling out in the USA only to start with. So my guess is that the Radio section in iTunes will remain populated with the thousands of existing stations for users outside the USA, and be populated only with Apple's offerings for users in the US.

I have no inside info, but that's how I think it will go down.

Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    Probably. I think that if Apple never added Live365 and Radionomy stations, and had the once dedicated staff to overlook iTunes Radio, the way it used to be many many moons ago, this new iTunes radio would have never come to pass.
    As it is now, the current iTunes radio tab is a mess with dark stations (no one is in charge of making sure they work), and stations that have pre-roll live365 ads, telling people you have to subscribe to listen...lol
    The way iTunes is now, it is VERY unprofessional and unApple like.

There used to a be a nice dedicated staff back in the day over @ iTunes.

I certainly hope TuneIn doesn't become OVER flooded with the same junk.
    Last edited by Urban Hitz Radio; 06-11-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    -- JE