Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title

Can Internet radio be a full time business?

Hi

I'm still new to the online radio game and I wondered whether its possible to make a living from my station.
    I'm losing my Job at the end of the month and i'm at a crossroads. It would be great if i could but how realistic is it?

Dave

Title
    We have been doing it for 15 years. One of the main attractions of our station is no ads. We have managed to claw back a bit of our annual operating costs with listener donations & Google AdSense, but I'm not going to go out and buy that motor home just yet.
    Reverend Aquaman | Station Manager | andHow.FM
    Where it's *ALL* about the music!
    A world-class, always eclectic, commercial-free, alternative, modern, retro, indie rock radio station.
    Jamming the free world, one person at a time since 1998. Got Indie?

Title
    I not looking for a fortune really, just enough to support my family. Its not sounding terribly optimistic. 15 years is a long time, Is it full time for you now?

Title
    What is your actual business Jim? I started my radio station as a creative outlet but if there is a chance of turning it into a business i may be in the right place to focus my attention on that. I'd like to know more about your service. you can email me on dvirgo43@gmaill.com

Title
    Premium Member
    @dvirgo - Don't quit your day job.
    SCS - Dedicated Bandwidth Servers
    Shoutcast / Icecast / Windows Media
    Transcoding - Auto DJ - Mobile Radio - FLASH Players - Auto DJ
    Broadcasting World's Stream Host of the Month

Title
    I've already lost it..lol

Title
    Premium Member
    @dvirgo - Out of the hundreds of radio stations here on BCW, only a handful make enough money to use it as their primary source of income.

If someone tells you it is easy to do and most people do it, I can direct you to a bunch of infomercials you might be interested in.

If any station reads this and is supporting themselves, SOLELY by the income received by their station, can you please respond to this thread.

Title
    @Jim- Thanks for the info and I look forward to your email

@ Pro member- You could be right! I'm sure being successful isn't a easy task but my inquiry was to hear peoples experiences. Even if only a few have managed to make a living from there stations it shows that it isn't impossible but may be improbable. But I won't know until I do my research and make an informed choice whether to invest my time and money into this project or just keep it as a creative outlet. I come from a background in radio and television broadcasting and the integration of the internet is still an exciting and developing medium. Personally I think we're at the beginning of something rather than the end.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dvirgo View Post
    I not looking for a fortune really, just enough to support my family. Its not sounding terribly optimistic. 15 years is a long time, Is it full time for you now?
    No, it is not full-time. My full-time work helps to fund the station. We attempted a commercial version of the station back before 2000 with limited success. We have received numerous accolades for being a commercial-free radio station and our listener loyalty is dependent upon that status. We currently have approx. 45-50,000 TLH every month. I understand from the opinions of a few experts that I have read, that most corporate sponsors are looking for 700,000 TLH a month to peak their interest in investing in those broadcasts. Jim is a very clever gentleman and I don't discount his claims, as I don't have all of the information available to me to be able to make that judgement. So if you are interested in getting more info, I would see what he has to offer. I see some stations like SomaFM being able to turn those kinds of numbers, but they have multiple stations playing multiple formats. The capital expenditure & operating costs to be able to maintain, if not even to get started, would have to be a considerable amount. There have been a lot of really good commercial internet radio stations that have gone by the wayside over the years, one that particularly comes to mind is WOXY. They could not generate the revenue to keep their investors happy, so they shut it down. It was a fantastic radio station and apparently had quite a following.

We do it because we love the music and we love our listeners, our aim is to serve our audience, not deliver an audience to advertisers!
    Reverend Aquaman | Station Manager | andHow.FM
    Where it's *ALL* about the music!
    A world-class, always eclectic, commercial-free, alternative, modern, retro, indie rock radio station.
    Jamming the free world, one person at a time since 1998. Got Indie?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andhow
    We do it because we love the music and we love our listeners, our aim is to serve our audience, not deliver an audience to advertisers!
    Amen, Reverend.