Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by deaddred View Post
    You can get a $20 VPS with more than enough power to run your station.
    Power maybe, but what about control panel, statistic reports, monitoring (auto-restart Shourtcast if it crashes)? Having a VPS is hardly a benefit compared to shared stream hosting. With VPS you'll have to manage everything yourself while you still share one physical machine with other users, and it's also more expensive.
    RadioBOSS Radio Automation Software: http://www.djsoft.net
    RADIOBOSS.FM Icecast/Shoutcast stream hosting.

Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by djsoft View Post
    Power maybe, but what about control panel, statistic reports, monitoring (auto-restart Shourtcast if it crashes)? Having a VPS is hardly a benefit compared to shared stream hosting. With VPS you'll have to manage everything yourself while you still share one physical machine with other users, and it's also more expensive.
    I beg to differ running a VPS can be a lot cheaper than paying a streaming host. We pay around $5 a month for a one can't get a stream host that cheap for our requirements.

Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJUser View Post
    I beg to differ running a VPS can be a lot cheaper than paying a streaming host. We pay around $5 a month for a one can't get a stream host that cheap for our requirements.
    It could be better for your situation... But what about control panel, statistics, monitoring, DDoS protection? How much bandwidth they offer for that sort of money?

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Well its not like people are stupid and can't learn how to install and set up all those services. Obviously its not for everyone but its an option that can give you way more control for less prices. Besides probasbly 1/2 of those hosts are just like other web hosts that run reseller servers and pay someone else to do server maintenance.

Besides not everyone needs those services. I'm non commercial and don't have to report stats, I don't need a fancy web panel as using the live mount and fall back for auto does the job if I want dj's to connect. Now that is my situation and your mileage may vary but its a good option.
    Last edited by deaddred; 12-11-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Title
    I think, that is a good reason to learn, but....

the provider that i use since 2011 is not a reseller.
    g-factory.de is number 3 in gameserver-hosting.
    since 2010 he is also in streamservermarket and he does a very good job.

i sayed that i will give a test-acc to my vtec to test 4 weeks a 500 Slot streamserver.

What u think i will do that on a highly performed and setup server?
    No!!!
    I will do that on the same server on that my streamserver are running.

u didnt belive it?
    then u should take a try.

Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    Well its not like people are stupid and can't learn how to install and set up all those services. Obviously its not for everyone
    Most people simply do not want to learn unix, monitor and secure their servers themselves and all that stuff. When you don't want to do something yourself, you can pay someone to do that work for you.

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Most people simply do not want to learn unix, monitor and secure their servers themselves and all that stuff. When you don't want to do something yourself, you can pay someone to do that work for you.
    Well since your a host you're going to be one sided. As for Linux/Unix running bare bones services say just Steamcast/Icecast and a source like MPD its pretty secure, just run auto or regular updates. If you're worried about security just don't run php or a web server. You don't even need ftp as you can use SCP to upload your tracks. If you need a website get a cheap $5 hosting account.

You're not running a multi-user web host which requires proper lockdown for php/apache/mail etc...

Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    Well since your a host you're going to be one sided.
    I'm just telling about inconvenience when using VPS (especially for person non familiar with unix). Stream hosting is a complimentary business for our radio automation software. When people ask how they can start internet radio, we simply offer them our software and our stream hosting. This way they can get all tech support from one place, and this is very convenient for both sides - no 3rd parties involved.