Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Administrator

Where is Internet Radio heading? My recent thoughts on Radionomy + SHOUTcast.

http://www.broadcastingworld.com/features/view-84/

"Here lies the issue. We have little to no development or news from Radionomy. It has been several months since we have seen any kind of sign from them, and it was pretty much just a re-design on their website and a press release confirming their purchase. Now sure, it may take a few months for Radionomy to structure it's internal positions and map out a plan for the company with the millions of stations it has recently acquired under it's belt."

Thoughts? What is the future of Internet Radio?

Title
    Content Manager
    Internet Radio is here to stay - that is for sure. The massive media companies have absolutely ruined terrestrial radio. You get the same 10 song playlist drilled into your brain. The biggest hurdle that must be overcome for Internet broadcasting is an amicable between artists and royalty groups. I am all for paying artists - but the royalty groups have donned the suits of mafiaosa and are hell bent on shaking down every one for money.

Internet connected TV and Internet connected car radios are just the tip of the iceberg for the massive changes that are coming about very soon.

Title
    Internet radio is definitely here to stay but in what form? Interactivity and on demand seem to be the key to making it all work but those present some challenges because we are told that we have to hold requests for 60 minutes thus really killing the on demand aspect of it. It will certainly be interesting to see where it goes in the very near future.

Title
    we are definitely here to stay, but like you guys stated above certain things need to be clearer so we can move towards the future.

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    considering the age of that article and what has happened since it was posted, it's not at all like there isn't information, etc coming out and new things happening. between the starting of new DNAS / tool updates (with a few more to come in the coming months) and the beginnings of the streaming service, SHOUTcast has seen far more input in a few months than was ever done in the 3+ years i tried to get the tools and chunks of the YP sorted out from what was left in pieces post the incomplete-2009 re-design of things (as the last year and a bit under AOL i spent most of my time working on the now failed Winamp Cloud product rather than SHOUTcast).

as for Winamp, you just have to know where to look to find out updates on what has and will be done for the desktop client (though SHOUTcast work has taken up most of my time over the last few months so it's not progressing as fast as users would like - but when you've got to replace everything Gracenote related and a number of other areas of the code base (in order to get the functionality from things like the 'pro' version available to all), time is always going to be the biggest issue with getting any sort of new release out of the door (and that's before even going down the mobile / Android client route).

Title
    Video killed the radio star and now commercial music streaming service might do away with internet radio.

Title
    Content Manager
    How do you think that commercial streaming services will " do away with " Internet Radio ?

Even with Shoutcast, Live365, Pandora and all the other services - you can still find amazing choices for stations and content to listen to.

Title
    Commercial streaming will never kille internet radio, if anything it opens the door even more for internet radio.

Title
    I'm being a bit flippant but I have noticed personally that listener numbers have dropped quite a bit to stations on Shoutcast.com. Then I was wondering were they gone to the likes of Spotifiy etc.

I run an online station myself so I really hope it's not the case.

As a former radio presenter, internet radio is incredible - especially the way you can be listened to all over the globe.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 08-24-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Title
    Was Shoutcast a paid for service? And if that was the case, is there a price structure for streaming via Shoutcast now or is it more similar to Radionomy structure?