Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dotme View Post
    That petition is full of inaccuracies. It's title says "Opposition to Copyright Royalty Board's decision on HR-1733" - First, the CRB has nothing to do with that bill and certainly didn't make a "decision" on it. Second, the bill has nothing to do with the expiration of the rates we have all been paying. Third, the bill is ONLY about FM radio paying for an FM transmission and not at all about online streaming. Finally, the bill is not yet signed into law (and if the NAB has anything to do with it, it will probably never see the light of day). However well-intentioned it may be, that petition was created by someone without a full understanding of the situation, the law and how this process works.

In comparison, in 2007, SaveNetRadio generated a MILLION phone calls to Congress. A petition with a few thousand signatures, incorrectly worded and aimed at the wrong place will, I'm afraid, have no effect or even make us look like we have no public support this time around.

As many of you know, I was deep into this in 2007 (I started SaveNetRadio before turning it over to DiMA/Qorvis) and I'm not sitting here doing nothing. I'm making plans. Brutish speaks wisely though. We may need to act, but not yet. Without getting into specifics, there will be talks this week. I believe those talks need to take place FIRST. I believe we should give the sides some room to see if a non-adversarial solution is possible.

I know many here stand ready to act if that turns out not to be the case, but I'd encourage everyone to hold their fire. We're more effective if we all aim and fire at the same target at the same time. IMHO we're just not to that point yet, and until we know how the talks are going, we don't know what our call-to-action should be. Hope this makes sense....

I've been running a modified version of the old savenetradio ad i found in another forum a few weeks ago, along with pushing the facts that Listenership to Online Stations are up and continue to rise with the advancements of smartphones tech, and wifi availability in newer cars.

Title
    Senior Broadcaster
    all right, I'll hold fast.

One advocate for spreading public pa we didn't think of.... Typing on my phone, so i will cut to the chase.

Behringer. Behringer gets tons of traffic. They sell craploads of gear to podcasters and streamers. dennis has been selected artist of the month by then before, and also has a station. If need be, maybe write up a call of action for them to pass along to their artist for Dennis to submit. One that gets their artist to submit letters to their PRO. Behringer delivers call of action through their powerful social media.
    Last edited by Brutish Sailor; 01-04-2016 at 04:15 AM.
    KNSJ.org / 89.1 FM San Diego

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Has anyone thought to get independent artists on our side? They stand to lose as much as we do. Yes, we have to pay the RIAA for their songs too, but with less of us around, they get less exposure. We need to convince them to join us as well.
    EMZT Radio. Come, let your ears bleed.

http://emztradio.mywebcommunity.org/

Title
    Senior Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by mjordan View Post
    Has anyone thought to get independent artists on our side? They stand to lose as much as we do. Yes, we have to pay the RIAA for their songs too, but with less of us around, they get less exposure. We need to convince them to join us as well.
    Half right, read previous post.

Thats a null fight. With tons of media distribution, artist arnt going to flock in groups over that fight. My simple math on stating the arguement is~

step 1: Pandora and Sirius FM push for pureplay act, which favors profiting with a larger listening audience, as payout is per play vs. TLH driven payout.

step 2: Artist pushed by the PRO that the Pureplay act is in their favor.

step 3: Pureplay act takes life, and small webcasters act expires.

step 4: Small stations close, as they cant afford the pureplay act; listeners go to bigger media sources (like Pandora and Sirius FM)

Simple math: If our listeners go to bigger media, under the pureplay act, The industry overall gets LESS money. Pureplay favors large statistics. the same listeners, shifted to another media outlet (if going to another live audio source) kills audio industry profits.

unite_or_die.jpg
    Last edited by Brutish Sailor; 01-06-2016 at 04:33 AM.

Title
    Senior Broadcaster
    still waiting on the word to unleash hell..

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutish Sailor View Post
    still waiting on the word to unleash hell..

Waiting with ya Brutish. We need to get something going soon.

Title
    Premium Member
    SCS - Dedicated Bandwidth Servers
    Shoutcast / Icecast / Windows Media
    Transcoding - Auto DJ - Mobile Radio - FLASH Players - Auto DJ
    Broadcasting World's Stream Host of the Month

Title
    As far as i know Adele was first played/discovered on an internet radio out of NYC called East Radio Village (EVR), One of Green Day first appearance on Radio was on WFMU. So let's say make like a poster telling how independent Radio is important on Discovery new artists, and post that poster all overr facebook.

Or we can try reach out to VICE/Gizmodo even BoingBoing see if they are interested in Running some articles on this whole think.

* Sorry for the Broken english, i'm originally from Brazil

Title
    Somewhat related and I think is an interesting side-discussion to this: On my way into work this morning I heard a mention on the radio that there is a new startup company in Nashville that is allowing investment in a traditional stock-style investment, but into songs and the investors get a cut of the royalties. Unfortunately they briefly covered it with just the information I gave here.

On the face of it it seems like this would even further exacerbate the licensing issues and on top of that, IMHO, anyone who was not involved in the process of writing or developing that song and is not an artist of said song should not have any rights to the royalties to begin with.

Title
    Senior Broadcaster
    http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...ions-stifled/#

Im glad my local small media outlets are covering it. Its surprising, because all these internet broadcasters are here, but never knew of one.....