Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Title
    Senior Broadcaster
    http://www.tvtechnology.com/business...casters/277738

At least Marvin isn't taking this laying down, and that gives me faith. I'm just ready to push some efforts forwards. But Ive had time to build a mailing list when its time to unleash hell......
    KNSJ.org / 89.1 FM San Diego

Title
    the thing that pisses me off the most is marvin has to send me 2 invoices this month, i barely was able to pay the first one without going completely bankrupt, and with the second one, i may be forced to shut down (i paid for a 2 year plan on a shoutcast server that i've barely even got done with year 1.)

Title
    posed a similar thread over at another radio forum, radio discussions.com, and had several folks say that small/micro broadcasters don't matter and that we are wasting our time and money.

screw 'em and the horses the rode in on.

Title
    Senior Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by riverregionmedia View Post
    posed a similar thread over at another radio forum, radio discussions.com, and had several folks say that small/micro broadcasters don't matter and that we are wasting our time and money.

screw 'em and the horses the rode in on.
    Most of Their streaming tech is are based on our advancements in the field. Their loss.
    KNSJ.org / 89.1 FM San Diego

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutish Sailor View Post
    Most of Their streaming tech is are based on our advancements in the field. Their loss.
    agreed.

tried to reason with a forum member who calls himself a radio consultant and claims all small webcasters were uninformed and have no chance of getting a new agreement.

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    I see there's another price increase, from 40 to 60. I'm punching walls here. Punching walls. This is VERY close to my breaking point.
    EMZT Radio. Come, let your ears bleed.

http://emztradio.mywebcommunity.org/

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mjordan View Post
    I see there's another price increase, from 40 to 60. I'm punching walls here. Punching walls. This is VERY close to my breaking point.
    i'm right there with you, but what's the true breaking point for me is marvin sending 2 invoices a month...he should just prorate this month and tack the hike on to next month's fees.

myself and probably a few other broadcasters can't afford to pay 2 or 3 invoices a month.

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by riverregionmedia View Post
    i'm right there with you, but what's the true breaking point for me is marvin sending 2 invoices a month...he should just prorate this month and tack the hike on to next month's fees.

myself and probably a few other broadcasters can't afford to pay 2 or 3 invoices a month.
    Wait, didn't the e-mail say that he did prorate, and that Jan. was the only month the multi-invoice was supposed to happen? Maybe I misread the e-mail. Still, though, I feel horrible for him. Maybe the new Live365 refugees will replace those of us who can't afford it anymore.
    EMZT Radio. Come, let your ears bleed.

http://emztradio.mywebcommunity.org/

Title
    It's encouraging to see the legal webcasters supporting conversation pertaining to this matter. What is disheartening is the amount of "legal" webcasters who are members of this site/forum, not voicing any concern. Of course this issue for U.S. based broadcasters who should be highly concerned but there has to be more than the few who have posted in regards to the expiration of the SWA of 2009 and the ensuing diasterous results. Maybe you're independently wealthy, maybe the revenue from your station can cover this dramatic increase in costs or you simply don't care. I dare warn every U.S. based webcaster, who strives to stay legal and do the right thing, the expiration of the SWA of 2009 is the ringing of the deathbell for internet radio. As a hobbyiest webcaster or as a station with professional aspirations, your wishes have been smashed. Just doing some quick math should impress you enough to rise up and do something. A station with nothing but 10 listeners each hour for a 24 hour broadcast day and playing an average of 14 copyrighted tracks per hour will incur a royalty payment to Soundexchange of $133 per month. Add that to the other licenses from ASCAP, BMI and SESAC and your operating costs have now gone over the top. The small webcaster as you know it will perish this year.

Our discussion does not have to include the virtues of online radio, that goes without saying. What should be discussed is what's next and the demand for fair applicability across the board.

What can we do? Reformat to all talk radio? Takes researchers, writers and producers to develop a daily and inciteful show.

Play less copyrighted music? You may have to rebuild your library, that will take time and money.

Play nothing but Common Creative Licensed music? A possibility but again, you'll have to rebuild your library. Additionally, the majority of CC licensed music is copyrighted so be careful here.

Go pirate? Not really an option.

Morph into a 501c (non-profit) entity? Good luck with that one.

Leave internet webcasting and develop in to an LPAM terrestrial station? This is actually a possibility for some. Research the regulations pertaining to LPAM broadcasting. Do not rebroadcast that show online, remain terrestrial and terrestrial only. Soundexchange has no dog in this fight whatsoever. You will need to contact ASCAP, SESAC and BMI for licensing information. It is actually inexpensive for that type of hobby. You have the library now, you have the station infrastructure. You'll need to acquire a LPAM transmitter, install it legally and go right back to what you were doing. You can legally operate a commercial venture all within the operating confines of LPAM regulations. I have to repeat this again, DO YOUR RESEARCH for LPAM broadcasting.

Lastly, WRITE YOUR CONGRESSIONAL REPRESENTATION. That's what those guys and gals are there for. It may not seem like it with the current state of politics but that's what our elected officials are supposed to be doing. WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN!! A solitary voice may or may not be listened to however, a chorus of voices still ringly loudly in the halls of congress. Sign any petition going around on the net to save net radio. There are a few being circulated, sign them all! Encourage any and all U.S. based webcasters to write their congress persons.

As stated before, demand what is fair! If the small, micro and nano webcasters are being expected to pay the new rates why aren't the free webcast sites paying. I'm referring to sites like Ivlog, UStream and Vaughn Live. Not a single one of those sites pay a thing in performing rights or royalties. WHY? You can go to any of those sites and ask the hosts concerning performing rights and royalties, you will get the deer in the headlights look from each one of them. They have advertising, pre-rolls, page click-throughs all displaying a total commercial venture. Yet, they pay nothing! Demand these sites pay their fair share.

I have no clue where all this will end. I do know that whatever happens, it will cost money.

cptsparkle
    Last edited by cptsparkle; 01-20-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Title
    Believe me, i care and i'm deeply concerned, as i said, i can make the 2 invoices this month, but the increase next month could be my breaking point.
    I'm already in planning stages for a radical flip to all talk.