Title

Question If you are Spinning Vinyl Live in your Record shop.

I own a small record shop in a small town and I was told that I could play songs in my shop as long as i have the intent to sell them. I live stream video from my shop from time to time with music playing in the back ground.....I would assume that would still fall under the "intent to sell" statute correct? If I am Violating any Copy write laws, how many Cease and Desists do they issue before legal action?
    Last edited by Power Plant Records; 05-24-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: ...

Title
    Premium Member
    Sounds like you're playing with fire.
    SCS - Dedicated Bandwidth Servers
    Shoutcast / Icecast / Windows Media
    Transcoding - Auto DJ - Mobile Radio - FLASH Players - Auto DJ
    Broadcasting World's Stream Host of the Month

Title
    Content Manager
    Definitely not a good idea to continue ....

Title
    Sorry I should have explained more....i just edited the post.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Plant Records
    I own a small record shop in a small town and I was told that I could play songs in my shop as long as i have the intent to sell them
    I believe that statement is not true. You play a song, you pay the royalties.
    SCS - Dedicated Bandwidth Servers
    Shoutcast / Icecast / Windows Media
    Transcoding - Auto DJ - Mobile Radio - FLASH Players - Auto DJ
    Broadcasting World's Stream Host of the Month

Title
    No matter where you are you still need licence. In uk you need 2. ppl and prs licence. If you don.t have and you get caught you will lose all eq and a big fine and maybe prison

Title
    Senior Broadcaster
    The answer is none. They can sue you with no cease and desist issued.

A cease and Desist order is more a less a courtecy, or forceful back-up in court so that a broadcaster wouldnt be able to hide behind "ignorance/unawareness" and not get sued as an illegal "money losing commercial entity." and unless you got that 503C (in the US) non-profit status, dont claim "non-profit", your just a "money losing commercial entity."

SOOOOOOOO...............

In essence "they" being music producer, or lable representing the artist, can claim that you redistributed an intelectual property with the intent to entertain without their consent and theirfore impacted their profiting.

Think about it.

If you made a movie, and someone redistributed it to a million friends via facebook, would you care if a cease and desist order was issued? HELL NO, you would be screaming ,"Where is my money to cover the 33% revinue lost from movie theater goers ?/!"
    KNSJ.org / 89.1 FM San Diego

Title
    Yes. I learned a long time ago, to play nice with the licensing bodies. There are perks if you do though, you can apply to publishing companies for access to their content. I get access to MPE and get regular updates from Sony, Universal, Warner, et al. If you are going to run a radio station and you are not in it for the music, why bother? You are actually providing a very meager donation to the access that it gives you as well as legitimacy.

They will find you and they will shut you down. It doesn't matter what you play, indie or not there is a mechanical license that you still have to pay just to replay their content. It is a license from the days of piano rolls. You had to pay royalties to physically reproduce or replay the content. Now even a ringtone of content is covered under this license.

If you want to play you have to pay.
    Reverend Aquaman | Station Manager | andHow.FM
    Where it's *ALL* about the music!
    A world-class, always eclectic, commercial-free, alternative, modern, retro, indie rock radio station.
    Jamming the free world, one person at a time since 1998. Got Indie?