Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    5

    Excessive delay before stream starts.

    I had a recent issue with an excessive (4 second) delay between 'play' and stream starting/restarting.

    With my current host, there's almost no delay when initially playing - and restarting is instant.

    For a new project, in wanting to develop a relationship with an additional provider, start/restart times were each 4-seconds.

    Unable to get a definitive answer on 'why?' from them, and unwilling to accept 'this is normal' and 'try a different player', I've switched the project to my current host.

    I'm keen though to get a better understanding of the cause of this... whether a user-configurable setting in Centova, or something set elsewhere to which I didn't have access.
    Last edited by Heyes; 06-19-2018 at 10:07 AM.

  2. #2
    RDJUser's Avatar
    Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Harpurhey, Manchester UK
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    13
    Are there any buffer settings? You would need to lower the buffer from 4000ms to something more manageable (1000ms = 1 second)

    If its not that then I'm not sure what to suggest.


    Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

    Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ

  3. #3

    Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJUser View Post
    Are there any buffer settings? You would need to lower the buffer from 4000ms to something more manageable (1000ms = 1 second)

    If its not that then I'm not sure what to suggest.
    Thanks.

    Your suggestion seems logical, but I'd no access to any such setting - and hence suspected it to be part of the 'something set elsewhere to which I didn't have access' stuff.

    Although my knowledge of this is relatively small, I can't imagine why a provider would set such a high default. (Although a possible answer might be that 'they don't know enough' - for which potential evidence might be the 'that's normal' response I got from them.)

  4. #4
    MarcAlle's Avatar
    Title
    Streaming Specialist
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyes View Post
    Thanks.

    Your suggestion seems logical, but I'd no access to any such setting - and hence suspected it to be part of the 'something set elsewhere to which I didn't have access' stuff.

    Although my knowledge of this is relatively small, I can't imagine why a provider would set such a high default. (Although a possible answer might be that 'they don't know enough' - for which potential evidence might be the 'that's normal' response I got from them.)
    Many providers using shared-type hosting or cheap servers will set the initial buffer high so that the client has 4-30 (I've seen settings of 30!) of buffer, so they can claim "buffer-free" service. In the end it is typically trying to account for crappy servers or bandwidth so the client's listeners don't complain.

    Otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to set the buffer very high. Now on the other hand, if the provider is servicing customers that have very poor internet connections that can go in and out, this would potentially help by keeping a continuous stream as well.
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared/Reseller cPanel® Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (877) 240-7767 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

  5. #5

    Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcAlle View Post
    Many providers using shared-type hosting or cheap servers will set the initial buffer high so that the client has 4-30 (I've seen settings of 30!) of buffer, so they can claim "buffer-free" service. In the end it is typically trying to account for crappy servers or bandwidth so the client's listeners don't complain.

    Otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to set the buffer very high. Now on the other hand, if the provider is servicing customers that have very poor internet connections that can go in and out, this would potentially help by keeping a continuous stream as well.
    Thanks.

    That all sounds sensible, and helps me to better understand.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •