Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1

    Here's my aircheck: Is my accent suitable for Radio announcing in US/Canada?

    Please listen to my recording and comment. Im an aspiring VO talent and radio announcer.

    Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    GKIye's Avatar
    Title
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    @ home
    Posts
    3,007
    Rep Power
    70
    Hi Jon,
    I suppose You recorded Your voice with a headset mic or something similar ?
    The content sounds real flat, no real intonation / variation in your voice.
    People who listen to a read has to believe what is told. They has to be convinced of the message.

    Search for a decent software to record your voice (many of Us still use Adobe Audition or similar).
    Buy a good mic (eg. RODE or other).
    Train your vocal cords that way that You can control them in the high & low frequencies.
    Don't whisper into Your mic, but use your real voice capacity.

    Attached a short warming up session of Myself.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Visit and listen @ BW !



  3. #3

    Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1
    Hey Kyle, thanks loads for your assistance. However I cannot play the track due to an error message (I need more than 10 posts to download attachments)
    I appreciate the feedback, and am uploading, a louder, more energetic aircheck sample. I guess it still isnt perfect however and your feedback on that would be helpful.

  4. #4
    GKIye's Avatar
    Title
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    @ home
    Posts
    3,007
    Rep Power
    70
    Hi Jon,

    Please upload all your next airchecks into "this thread". Do not make a new one for each new upload & post.
    If You need follow up and feedback its way easier for fellow members to make reviews if posted in the same thread, and they create a view on the do & donts.

    Your IP shows Me as located in "Sri Lanka" ... I suppose thats the reason of your foreign accent, but that ain't a problem.

    My questions are :
    What kind of software do You use to "record" the voice ?
    What kind of mic do You use ?
    What is the terrible noise in the recording and on the background ?

    Please share all needed details, and "meanwhile check for a decent microphone and audio editing software".
    In return We gonna try to give You feedback the much as possible.

    Attached Your file with some smal adjustements, however You need other audio editing software to record and an other mic !
    Good luck !
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJon View Post
    I appreciate the feedback, and am uploading, a louder, more energetic aircheck sample. I guess it still isnt perfect however and your feedback on that would be helpful.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GKIye; 08-01-2019 at 04:23 AM.
    Visit and listen @ BW !



  5. #5

    Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GKIye View Post
    Hi Jon,

    Please upload all your next airchecks into "this thread". Do not make a new one for each new upload & post.
    If You need follow up and feedback its way easier for fellow members to make reviews if posted in the same thread, and they create a view on the do & donts.

    Your IP shows Me as located in "Sri Lanka" ... I suppose thats the reason of your foreign accent, but that ain't a problem.

    My questions are :
    What kind of software do You use to "record" the voice ?
    What kind of mic do You use ?
    What is the terrible noise in the recording and on the background ?

    Please share all needed details, and "meanwhile check for a decent microphone and audio editing software".
    In return We gonna try to give You feedback the much as possible.

    Attached Your file with some smal adjustements, however You need other audio editing software to record and an other mic !
    Good luck !
    Yes, I'm Sri Lankan, but hopefully I can get into voiceovers maybe even internet radio in US/Canada. That's my goal anyway!

    I am just starting out so I record from an iPhone mic in a pretty soundproof room, but background hiss is bound to occur unfortunately. (I dont use any recording software apart from that, although I do use AVS audio editor to edit)

    I would be willing to invest in an actual home studio, if my voice is suitable for radio. Could you tell me if it is? (is it friendly, natural or forced, etc) If not, where do I need to improve?

  6. #6
    GKIye's Avatar
    Title
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    @ home
    Posts
    3,007
    Rep Power
    70
    Thanks Jon,

    I do understand your limits in the use of gear to make recordings, however its necessary to use at least a microphone who record your voice in a "natural" way.
    Search for a Adobe Audition, or any similar software ... Install it on Your pc, plugin Your mic and record a dry read.
    Speak in a "fluent" way, don't speak too fast, neither too slow.
    Use Your natural voice, don't try to be someone else. After You achieve a good and decent read than you can create an own identity.

    You have to understand and admit that it ain't possible to say at once if your voice is a voice to work with if the quality of the recording isn't OK.
    Being a voice-over or becoming a radiohost is something that have to be learned.
    Everyone has his / her own way of doing these things, but the basics have to be learned and understood.

    Don't be disappointed by reading my review, its only meant to improve your skills.
    Somebody with an Asian or any other accent has also an audience somewhere on this globe who can be interested in your voice.
    So try to look for some good gear, it don't has to be professional at this moment, but recording things with a smartphone isn't the way to improve your skills.
    Yes, it can give a direction, but it ain't quality proof to edit, adjust, or even to improve a read.
    If done with decent gear than We can check to adjust some things who gonna give You a general view on what is possible with your voice.

    In fact, its possible to record with your AVS audio editor by using a mic line in at your pc, so all you need at this moment is a good quality microphone.
    During recording close all other active programs (applications), such as your browser, email, etc

    PS : Tell in the read something about yourself, things who are familiar for you. Announcing everytime a track and artist isn't the way to do it at this moment.
    I'm looking forward to your sample.
    Good luck !
    Visit and listen @ BW !



  7. #7

    Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GKIye View Post
    Thanks Jon,

    I do understand your limits in the use of gear to make recordings, however its necessary to use at least a microphone who record your voice in a "natural" way.
    Search for a Adobe Audition, or any similar software ... Install it on Your pc, plugin Your mic and record a dry read.
    Speak in a "fluent" way, don't speak too fast, neither too slow.
    Use Your natural voice, don't try to be someone else. After You achieve a good and decent read than you can create an own identity.

    You have to understand and admit that it ain't possible to say at once if your voice is a voice to work with if the quality of the recording isn't OK.
    Being a voice-over or becoming a radiohost is something that have to be learned.
    Everyone has his / her own way of doing these things, but the basics have to be learned and understood.

    Don't be disappointed by reading my review, its only meant to improve your skills.
    Somebody with an Asian or any other accent has also an audience somewhere on this globe who can be interested in your voice.
    So try to look for some good gear, it don't has to be professional at this moment, but recording things with a smartphone isn't the way to improve your skills.
    Yes, it can give a direction, but it ain't quality proof to edit, adjust, or even to improve a read.
    If done with decent gear than We can check to adjust some things who gonna give You a general view on what is possible with your voice.

    In fact, its possible to record with your AVS audio editor by using a mic line in at your pc, so all you need at this moment is a good quality microphone.
    During recording close all other active programs (applications), such as your browser, email, etc

    PS : Tell in the read something about yourself, things who are familiar for you. Announcing everytime a track and artist isn't the way to do it at this moment.
    I'm looking forward to your sample.
    Good luck !
    So the previous aircheck, are you saying I was sounding too forced/unnatural? If so I will work on that.

    Agreed, becoming a v/o artist is something that has to be learned and I am just starting out. Looking forward to the journey.

    That's quite a comprehensive bit of feedback, much appreciated. I'll make a new aircheck introducing myself etc, and I'll try to be more natural 'myself' sounding.
    I'll try my best to improve on the sound quality too. But there will always be that wee bit of background hiss, because I'm not recording in a soundproof envioronment.
    But I can make the voice clearer, louder.
    Will get back to you on the aircheck.

  8. #8
    GKIye's Avatar
    Title
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    @ home
    Posts
    3,007
    Rep Power
    70
    Thats already the right mindset !
    Thumbs up and share with Us the best effort who's possible
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJon View Post
    Looking forward to the journey.
    Visit and listen @ BW !



  9. #9

    Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GKIye View Post
    Thats already the right mindset !
    Thumbs up and share with Us the best effort who's possible
    Hey Kyle!

    Working on the aircheck script! It will be ready in a few days. It is new to me to script my own show so I have been researching script writing skills.

  10. #10

    Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1
    Hey Kyle! Been some time has it not? Well I was working on various styles and techniques to bring out that natural sounding pacing and inflection.
    These are some demo voiceovers I recorded. Would you be kind enough to give me your feedback on them?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GKIye; 09-02-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •