Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
    Junior Broadcaster

Where do I begin?

Hello. New member here.

I am in the US and want to learn how to run my own Internet radio station. (Hopefully I joined the right website?!)

Growing up I was in love with the radio, and for the last decade I get all of my music from Internet radio stations - mostly because I think modern music sucks, and these stations allow me to listen to music I grew up with in the 70s/80s.

Here is someone can help me to figure out where to start...

Thanks.

Title
    First of all, Welcome to BW !

It would be a nice & great idea to introduce Yourself and tell some things about your experience.

- My feeling is that You are a radio addict and music lover but never have been into radio as host. Is that right ?
    - Do You have any skills and / or knowledge about software to setup an online station ?

These days people have tons of choices at the internet between free and paid (license) software. Its up to the user to check them, try some trail versions, make a choice in what is good or better in use compaired to Your skills.

Examples :
    - RadioDJ is a very good and free software and one of Our members "RDJUser" is a member to their forum.
    check their website : https://www.radiodj.ro/
    - ProppFrexx is a paid (license) software advanced in use and possibility.
    Its used by many professional projects and by hosts who are making their voicetracks (VTs) at home before they are uploaded to a station server and who are ready for airplay at scheduled times / radioshows.
    check their website : https://www.proppfrexx.radio42.com/

Please check both links, download a version and play around and discover what kind of software suits the best to You.
    Good luck !
    Visit and listen @ BW !

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by GKIye View Post
    First of all, Welcome to BW !
    Thank you! What is your name?

It would be a nice & great idea to introduce Yourself and tell some things about your experience.

- My feeling is that You are a radio addict and music lover but never have been into radio as host. Is that right?
    Well, I am in the U.S. and grew up in the 70s/80s glued to the home stereo my parents bought me when I was like 10. Second to maybe the 50s/60s/ that was the "Golden Age" of radio in the U.S.

Radio was my "friend".

After college, radio/music/TV/movies went to shot in the mid 1990s and so I stopped listening.

Then in circa 2008 - while transferring an old radio show from the 80s from cassette to my computer, I stumbled across the DJ who recorded the show, and in no time discovered both Internet radio AND syndicated shows.

Over the last decade I have recorded about 10,000 hours of shows onto my laptop using Audacity.

Most of my rock heros and DJs and radio stations are dying/dead, and so I am on a mission to learn how to create my own *legitimate* Internet radio station...

1.) To carry on the torch

2.) Because I have another startup that could benefit from owning an Internet radio station.

- Do You have any skills and / or knowledge about software to setup an online station ?
    None. But I do work in IT, and as mentioned, have been using Audacity for a decade doing basic editing.

These days people have tons of choices at the internet between free and paid (license) software. Its up to the user to check them, try some trail versions, make a choice in what is good or better in use compaired to Your skills.
    Well, first off, I am interested in *real* and *professional* solutions/skills. (Not so dork running a "radio station" of of Windows95 from his parent's basement and with 20 listeners.

I want to learn how to have a real radio station like several that I listen to online in the U.S. and Canada.

Examples :
    - RadioDJ is a very good and free software and one of Our members "RDJUser" is a member to their forum.
    check their website : https://www.radiodj.ro/
    Its used by many professional projects and by hosts who are making their voicetracks (VTs) at home before they are uploaded to a station server and who are ready for airplay at scheduled times / radioshows.

Please check both links, download a version and play around and discover what kind of software suits the best to You.
    Good luck !
    Where are all of you located? North America? Europe? Other?

I will check those out, but am hoping to just talk lots and ask questions as I know WHAT I want and WHERE I want to go, just don't know HOW to get there and it has been my experience that people in U.S. are dicks that don't want to share any knowledge - like it's some secret club?!

Look forward to talking more!

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Are those price PER MONTH?

Title
    The prices are for one license / pc (so "not" per month)
    Download and check out if it suits with what You are looking for.
    The demo version can be used as the paid version, so far that every 3 minutes a beep appears.
    However meanwhile You can learn how it works.
    The best thing You can do if all looks OK to You is a license as "Non-Commercial - Professional" ...
    Or You start with a "Basic" license and upgrade afterwoulds.

The brand is made by Bernd Niedergesaess from Germany.
    For details and contact visit their website : http://www.radio42.com/

Some contacts of Me are using ProppFrexx and are very satisfied about the support by the owner to any questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by streamingnewbie View Post
    Are those price PER MONTH?
    Visit and listen @ BW !

Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    If you're just starting out then i reckon RadioDJ would be a better bet for you its easy to use once setup

https://djgarybaldy.co.uk/help-cant-install-radiodj/

There are lots of utilities on my blog too. like StandAlone encoding software for you to stream to either Shoutcast or Icecast.

Don't be afraid to search the RadioDJ forums for help and advice. If you search there's a good chance your question has been answered before.

https://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php
    Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Currently Running RadioDJ on a 32GB Machine

Online: Blog - Twitter - Now Playing

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    The prices are for one license / pc (so "not" per month)
    But what is the period of time?

A "license" implies a renewal is associated versus out right buying something which the website says you cannot do.

So is the pice for "One year"?

Download and check out if it suits with what You are looking for.
    The demo version can be used as the paid version, so far that every 3 minutes a beep appears.
    However meanwhile You can learn how it works.
    The best thing You can do if all looks OK to You is a license as "Non-Commercial - Professional" ...
    Or You start with a "Basic" license and upgrade afterwoulds.
    Yes, I see that is an option.

But doing that would be way premature. There are so many questions that I have and I'm in an "exploratory" phase to see if what I want to do is even viable...

The brand is made by Bernd Niedergesaess from Germany.
    For details and contact visit their website : http://www.radio42.com/

Some contacts of Me are using ProppFrexx and are very satisfied about the support by the owner to any questions.
    Based on my limited research yesterday, ProppFrexx looks like most sophisticated software out there - at least that came up in Google. (I wonder what large radio stations use?)

One thing that is a big setback for me is that this product is Windows-only. (That is a *horrible* architectural decision in 2020!!)

Btw, I sent you a PM, GKIye :-)

So,GKIye, the people you know that are using this software, what are their applications?

Are they just "hobbyists", or do you know of anyone that is running a serious Internet radio station with staff and all?

My goal is to be able to have enough profit from such a venture that I could ultimately quit my day-job...

Title
    Junior Broadcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJUser View Post
    If you're just starting out then i reckon RadioDJ would be a better bet for you its easy to use once setup

https://djgarybaldy.co.uk/help-cant-install-radiodj/

There are lots of utilities on my blog too. like StandAlone encoding software for you to stream to either Shoutcast or Icecast.

Don't be afraid to search the RadioDJ forums for help and advice. If you search there's a good chance your question has been answered before.

https://www.radiodj.ro/community/index.php
    Are you affiliated with RadioDJ?

Why would you choose RadioDJ over something like ProppFrexx?

It seems all of the decent broadcasting suites suffer from being Windows-only. :-(

Can you please share with me what you do as far as Internet broadcasting?

Title
    Avid Broadcaster
    Nope Not affiliated as you put it. i'm a humble USER of the software and have been for near on 10 years.

Its stable it works and there are no messy licences or keys that expire.

There are Professional stations using RadioDJ for their playout. some of them using more than one copy to run separate stations.

RadioDJ to me is the best there is for FREE if you don't believe me read the Testimonials section of the RadioDJ forum.

N.B: You'll notice there are very few negative reviews because RadioDJ does what it says on the tin.

I know in some cases the word FREE can mean inferior BUT not in the case of RadioDJ. I've found the paid for products on the market lack certain things like stability & support.

RadioDJ has an amazing support network..
    Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Currently Running RadioDJ on a 32GB Machine

Online: Blog - Twitter - Now Playing

Title
    First of all ... RDJUser has the knowledge and skills in the use of RadioDJ for reason that he is using it for a long period of time.
    So he can point You to several important subjects.

About ProppFrexx (aka PF)
    The license can be understood as what is paid to use it at Your pc, with a key the software is activated from demo to full use.
    This is not a renewal key, once You buy it, its Yours and updates gonna appear.

Secondly, as shared into my earlier replies, PF is invented by a German and during the past Years PF became a standard to both internet & terrestrial radio's.
    PF is fully compatible with Stereo Tools and all 64bit VSTs.
    Its very often used by hosts to make their voicetracks who can be uploaded directly to the server of a radiostation 'if" the radiostation itself is using PF.
    This remote voicetracks are getting more and more popular for reason that a host don't has to be live in the studio, but can make the VTs at home.

Cons can be that PF is a software who has to receive the commands where to do what it has to do.
    Every track needs tags of "next", "fade out" & "outro" ... But once this is done it runs smoothly and perfect, also the insert of the TOTH, the use of "containers" who contains commercials / ads etc.

About Stereo Tools ...
    This software takes control of the sound processing.
    At first sight its expensive ... however the "basic" license is able to manage almost any setting. The other versions are meant if used by FM or AM stations.
    check : https://www.stereotool.com/

Please notice that I don't say that both are the best invention since decades, I share these details for reason that more and more projects are using it.
    Both softwares have also a forum were members can search for some tools, insight, help ...
    Making a download of both softwares as a crack ain't a good idea for reason that every X-time (daily or weekly) a build in key is changed.
    So the key who is paid by the user stays, however if a user has a crack their key is overwritten and has no use anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by streamingnewbie View Post
    Based on my limited research yesterday, ProppFrexx looks like most sophisticated software out there - at least that came up in Google. (I wonder what large radio stations use?)
    One thing that is a big setback for me is that this product is Windows-only. (That is a *horrible* architectural decision in 2020!!)
    Btw, I sent you a PM
    So, the people you know that are using this software, what are their applications?
    Are they just "hobbyists", or do you know of anyone that is running a serious Internet radio station with staff and all?
    My goal is to be able to have enough profit from such a venture that I could ultimately quit my day-job...

Visit and listen @ BW !