Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Title

Federal Tax ID/Business License??? USA

I have a quick question about taxes (in the US)

When I was doing stuff with Blue Stone, I had someone who took care of it. Do I have to get a tax ID for JoBo Voice Overs? Do I need a business license for it as well?

I was told by a friend, I don't, because its a sole person running it but I wanted to check.

Thanks for any help

-JB
    Jon Bova

"Successful people have libraries. The rest have big screen TVs. - Jim Rohn"

Title
    Content Manager
    I would call a local branch of the small business administration to get a definitive answer. OR Check with the local chamber of commerce and see if they have any one that does mentoring for small businesses.

Title
    Well, I talked to someone at the bank, and they told me that if I sell services online, own my own website, don't make more than 10,000 dollars a month, that I should be fine. I cannot open a business bank account however....I still actually have the Blue Stone account open :x

-JB
    Jon Bova

Title
    I did some research into this. Firstly you need to get a form BS1. Then you fill in the foreign student section, putting Mombassa as your birth place. Then, when you get the money you can relax and carry on life as normal.

Hang on, sorry. That is US President application. My mistake.

Title
    ROFL!!!!! JM, that was pretty good. The president is pretty much a joke right now, well, the governments been going downhill for a very long time...Oh well, I'll be the first one on the first commercial flight to the moon, to move there

-JB
    Jon Bova

Title
    It depends on your state... for example I live in Michigan if I am the sole person that owns the business you do not need a tax I.D. #/employer I.D. # if I decide to hire employees then I need a Employer I.D. #

but in order to get a business account you need a D.B.A. (doing business as) and you can get that at your county clerks office ( is around $10.00 and up)

NOTE that there is no suck thing as a business license in some states like Michigan believe me I know they thought I was an idiot when I ask how much a business license was

Call your local county clerks office they might have the info for you

Title
    Yeah, I took care of it all...I have no intentions to get a business license due to it being online services, besides, most of my clients write me checks....lol

-JB
    Jon Bova

Title
    lol... there you go you're all set than

Title
    To clear some things up, you DO need a business license even if you are selling online services as a sole proprietorship without anyone visiting you or having employees. Basically you're breaking the law by taking in any income in a location without a business license. This applies pretty much throughout all the states, the only things that are different are penalties and such.

If your town/city is incorporated, go to them for the business license. If they aren't and your town/city is just a mailing address, then go to the county for the business license.

As for the Tax ID number, it's not required unless you either have employees or you have a registered corporation (with the state) because since the corporation is in a way its own person, the government needs a way to identify it just like American citizens need a social security number.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JBVoice View Post
    Yeah, I took care of it all...I have no intentions to get a business license due to it being online services, besides, most of my clients write me checks....lol

-JB
    Unfortunately you need the business license or you are techincally breaking the law. For any form of income, a business license is required, whether it is running a lemonade stand or a multi-million dollar company.