Jump to content

Anyone licensing direct through BMI, ASCAP?

Recommended Posts



Currently a LoudCity user but thinking about licensing direct. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who is licensing directly as I am a bit confused about some terms used in the calculation of fees.


(I'd also be interested in hearing about your experience in terms of filing and reporting.)


Back to the question, specifically ASCAP's service session and music session. BMI uses page impressions which makes a bit more sense to me but wondering how service session and music session could be translated to TLH?


Thanks all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

whats a good "magic number" ATH wise monthly?



A friend of mine was getting about 30k ATH a month and was considering this.


I did a little math based on the ASCAP licensing, and you'd need around ~300,000 TLH/month to start going over their minimum yearly license ($340/"interactive service"). That's at a rate of $0.0009 per "Service Session" (almost the same as one listening hour).

And this is pretty close to BMI and SESAC, not sure about SoundExchange.


Here's some fun reading: http://www.ascap.com/weblicense/reports/pdfs/InteractiveLicenseAgreement_R2_1.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
I know this is an old post, but would like to clarify that last post. Internet radio stations are considered a "non-interactive" license. The interactive license is for services which allow the user to pick their playlist directly.


Home of Absolute Rockz, Absolute Spazz, Always HOT Country, and Absolute Hitz

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...