Mic tube preamp

lapianoman

I have a Xenyx 502 with "state-of-the-art XENYX Mic Preamp comparable to standalone boutique preamps." :P

My question is: Would it be worth plunking down the $30 for an ART tube preamp? Obviously, the tube preamp would only be needed to "warm" the sound of my recording. Is it going to make that much of a difference? Should I just save the cash for now & put it towards my future Rode NT1A?

I value your opinion.

Well, it turns out my 502 is an old model without phantom power, so looks like I have no choice but to get a tube preamp. I'm leary about ART's $29 model, as there are several negative reviews recently (quality control issues?)

Can anyone reccomend a decent phantom powered tube preamp for under $50?

You can get a new Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer at http://musiciansfriend.com for $43.99 with free shipping.

I buy my equipment from them and I've never had any trouble with them.

"I'm Retired" Donations PayPal.Me/artistview . I only do dry reads, if you want FX's you'll have to add them, I might add them. If you use my voice please link to my art site AbstractArtist.xyz, Thank you

The Behringer 502 with Phantom Power witch I bought (see picture) cost about 50 Euro ... thats more or less 65 US Dollar

The 502 has several "types" of line in ...

- included 1 mic input and 2 line inputs

- bass and treble adjustement

- gain, etc

- headphone connection

In fact a lot for only 50 Euro (Y)

Visit and listen @ BW !

http://i.imgur.com/Ggmw4ub.gif

Thanks everyone for your input! I couldn't bear to buy a new mixer, since the 502 is all I need (for now...), so I looked into the Behringer preamps & ended up getting the Tube Ultragain MIC200. It took a little playing with, but I'm very happy with it.

So now I'm the posterboy for Behringer:

-Xenyx 502 mixer

-Tube Ultragain MIC200

-C-1 Condenser Microphone

-HPM1000 headphones

Maybe they have a "frequent-buyer's club" & I can get future discounts? :lol:

Archived