Newbie To SAM Broadcaster Question

JohnV

I am a new user of SAM Broadcaster and I am experimenting with the automation.

This is my 3 playlist rotation programming idea:

I have one playlist called "TOP 20" that has my Top 20 newest and best songs.

I have a second playlist called "Top 40" that has my Top 40 songs. (Those that have exhausted the Top 20 and/or are not the "BEST of the BEST")

I have a third playlist called "GOLD" that has 1200 great songs.

I want SAM to play one song from the 1st playlist, then one song from the 2nd playlist, then one song from the third playlist. Without repeating any songs until the playlists are each exhausted. Essentially estimating it will repeat songs from the 1st playlist more (every 4 hours EST) 2nd playlist (every 8 hours) and from the third every few days or weeks. etc. So I have it set to play least played and do not repeat accordingly.

Is this the correct way to accomplish this? I feel I am doing something wrong.

The problem arises when I add any new music. I would have to reset the play counts or else it will screw up the rotation.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Your logic seems spot on with the rotation.

You can create a simple clockwheel to pull from each category and to load liners

Like everything this is NOT set and forget and will require maintenance so when adding new tracks you will have to reset counts and balances.

Are you using MySQL or firebird? I highly recommend MySQL

Your logic seems spot on with the rotation.

You can create a simple clockwheel to pull from each category and to load liners

Like everything this is NOT set and forget and will require maintenance so when adding new tracks you will have to reset counts and balances.

Are you using MySQL or firebird? I highly recommend MySQL

Thanks for the answer. I am using Firebird. MySQL was giving me errors. I heard that MySQL was better if you have 10,000+ songs.

Have you tried to accomplish any time-based automation on SAM? For example: One playlist from midnight-6am, one playlist for 6am-noon etc. ???

thanks again for the help :)

I have SAM running multiple playlists daily based on specific time slots. I'm sure there are some people out there that would freak out and tell me that I'm swapping out my playlists the wrong way but its the fastest and most reliable way I've discovered so far. Everything can be accomplished via a PAL script or the Event scheduler to complete these kinds of tasks. I would highly recommend MySQL over Firebird especially if you plan to have a PAL script directly modify the database as there are command compatibility issues with Firebird. Edited by SlamminTunes

DO NOT USE THESE AS POSTED IT WILL SURELY SCREW UP YOUR SAM BROADCASTER!!!! YOU HAVE TO KNOW THE CATEGORY NUMBERS AND BACK UP THE DATABASE BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO USE THIS!!!!

For example I use something like this to swap my the music around.

ExecSQL('UPDATE categorylist SET categoryID = 3 where categoryID = 4',[]);
ExecSQL('UPDATE categorylist, songlist set songlist.songtype = "S" where categorylist.songID = songlist.ID and categorylist.categoryID = 3',[]);
ExecSQL('UPDATE categorylist SET categoryID = 2 where categoryID = 1',[]);
ExecSQL('UPDATE categorylist, songlist set songlist.songtype = "C" where categorylist.songID = songlist.ID and categorylist.categoryID = 2',[]);

Category 1 is MusicVisible

Category 2 is MusicHidden

Category 3 is NewPlaylistVisible

Category 4 is NewPlaylistHidden

the visible folders are under the MusicALL category

the hiddle folders are in the OtherALL category

by reassigning the songtype to c and moving the tracks from the visible folder to the hidden folder those tracks are no longer picked up by SAM and are no longer request-able via the php SAM files

by moving the tracks the back to the visible folder and assigning the S songtype they become playable and request-able again.

This whole operation takes just milliseconds to accomplish and has never froze up my broadcaster PC.

To reverse the whole operation you would use something like this

ExecSQL('UPDATE categorylist SET categoryID = 4 where categoryID = 3',[]);
ExecSQL('UPDATE categorylist, songlist set songlist.songtype = "C" where categorylist.songID = songlist.ID and categorylist.categoryID = 4',[]);
ExecSQL('UPDATE categorylist SET categoryID = 1 where categoryID = 2',[]);
ExecSQL('UPDATE categorylist, songlist set songlist.songtype = "S" where categorylist.songID = songlist.ID and categorylist.categoryID = 1',[]);

DO NOT USE THESE AS POSTED IT WILL SURELY SCREW UP YOUR SAM BROADCASTER!!!! YOU HAVE TO KNOW THE CATEGORY NUMBERS AND BACK UP THE DATABASE BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO USE THIS!!!!